Thursday, November 20, 2008

Flank Steak Stirfry

This is my experiment with a quick and easy stir fry.

I used flank steak which is a very lean cut of steak. It is best if you cut across the grain (in this meat across the striations) very thin and on a bias or angle.If this is cut too thick it is really chewy. I seasoned this only with salt and pepper. I cooked the meat on high heat in 1T sesame oil and 1T olive oil. (the combination is for flavor and it also raises the smoke point of the olive oil so you can fry at a higher temperature.) Sesame oil and canola oil and peanut oil are all for high heat where olive oil is for lower temperatures like butter it will smoke sooner. After cooking I set aside in a bowl. *For future use this is also really good marinated for about 4 hours in the sauce I describe below. Cook the meat without the marinate then add the marinate to the sauce pan and reduce and instant sauce.

I cooked 1C brown rice and fluffed it with a fork.

Then in a large saute pan I cooked 1 pound of chopped fresh spinach with 1 package of stir fry veggies (a store bought package) until just wilted. Then I took that and set it aside.

In the pan after everything is ready I added about 1t of sesame oil again on med heat. I added 1-2 cloves of minced garlic with 1T minced fresh ginger. I let that saute for about 1 minute stiring constantly do not let garlic burn or it will be bitter. Then I added about 3-4T low sodium soy sauce (or as much as you like) and about 1C chicken broth ( you could use beef or vegetable broth or stock here) and let all of that simmer until it had reduced the liquid by half.

Then assemble - this made about 5 meals. Rice then veggies and meat with sauce on top. It was really flavorful and low calorie, high in vitamins and fiber. Really good for you.

No comments: