Sunday, December 4, 2011
Chicken Green Chile Enchiladas
This recipe is a favorite one from growing up, and I still love it now. My kids help me make this and get really dirty and messy in the process - thus the enchiladas don't always look pretty, but taste great. This is one of those dishes that is even better the next day. I serve it with sour cream and salsa for on top and guacamole and chips on the side. If you like real mild you can leave the green chilies out, and I do make 2-3 with just chicken and cheese for my youngest. This takes more time to prep than my normal recipes. I usually like meals to take about 30 minutes total - this one is fast if the chicken is cooked ahead - but so worth the time.
4 med. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, season with salt and pepper.
1 can diced green chilies, 4oz
1 can Las Palmas Green Chile Enchilada Sauce, 28oz
1 can evaporated milk, 12oz (I use fat free)
12 corn tortilla's
4-8oz grated colby jack cheese
Garnish
Sour Cream
Salsa
Guacamole
Place on baking sheet, bake 375 degrees(I bake from frozen to oven 45min, after they have been in for about 10 minutes I take them out season and put back in. The water that releases from the frozen meat helps keep the breast from drying out, I never have dry chicken this way.), let cool. Can be done the night before.
Once cooled with fingers or 2 forks shred the chicken and place in a bowl.
Add the diced green chilies and mix. (use a large can -7oz- for spicy, and small can-4oz- for med spice)
Set mixture aside.
Combine in a second bowl combine evaporated milk and enchilada sauce, set aside
I arrange my 2 bowls, 12 tortilla's and cheese close together to prevent to much dripping, then place a small amount of sauce on the bottom of a large pyrex casserole dish, about 1/2 c. It does not need to cover the whole bottom. Dip a tortilla the bowl with the sauce, then place in the casserole dish, add a line of chicken mixture across center of tortilla, then a small handful of cheese on top, roll and hold with one hand as you get the next tortilla and repeat steps. All 12 should fit in the pan, you might have to squish a bit. Some tortilla's may crack or break - nor worries with the cheese on top no one will notice and it all tastes the same. If you want you can dip the tortilla's in warm oil to prevent cracking, I don't really mind the look and without the oil I save on calories. I have also had someone tell me about heating them over the oven flame quickly also helps this, but am usually in a hurry with this being one of my more time consuming recipes, so I have not tried it yet.
When finished rolling enchiladas, pour remianing sauce on top, then remaining cheese. Bake in oven uncovered at 375 degrees for 40-45min or until they start to brown on top. Let cool about 10 minutes so sauce sets before serving.
Add your favorite beer or margarita and have a mexican feast!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Speaking of drinks, a few years ago, I learned the trick to a good margarita. Contrary to most mass-market versions, it goes heavy on the tequila and easy on the sugar: 2 parts tequila, 1 part margarita mix, 1/8 part Patron Citronge (orange liqueur), squeeze of lime, served on plenty of fresh ice. With such few ingredients, it's a deceptively simple drink. But it works because it features the flavors of the tequila, and the orange liquor adds depth and dimension without overpowering everything else.
Personally, I like the 1800 tequilas--gold or silver--for this drink. They're inexpensive, and they have a well rounded, safe (predictable) flavor.
Post a Comment