Friday, November 25, 2011

Giblet Gravy & Basting Liquid

So this year was my first "by myself" giblet gravy and I have to say it was my favorite part of the meal this year. I usually assist the chef - either my mom or Amanda and usually come in after the initial prep is done. I am a huge gravy fan and wanted mine to be great too. I ended up also using it for my basting liquid for the turkey and it really produced a moist and well browned bird.

This is what I did, always room for improvements of course, but very satisfied with the initial results. I totally forgot to take pictures of my food, was too excited to eat and in the chaos of family slipped my mind. I really have to start remembering so that you can all see the results of my creations and mishaps (oh yes they happen all the time).

Giblet Gravy

1 1/2 med sized carrots
1 1/2 stalks celery
1/2 onion

Take about ingredients and puree in either a food processor until mush, or in a juicer (which I do not own) would be good too. This part my kids love to help with cuz they like to take turns "zzzing" the food processor. Fun times.

Giblets and Neck from Mr. Turkey
Place all in a sauce pan with 2quarts of stock (can be chicken, turkey or vegetable - don't have those use water)

I put this on the stove and brought it to a boil, then turned it down to low and it stayed on the stove ALL day and cooked. Once I put the bird in the oven I then basted it with this liquid every 30-45 minutes and the turkey really turned out a dark tasty brown.

For the gravy, In a flat bottom skillet, I used 1/2C of the dripping from the bottom of the turkey pan (you could prep this in the turkey pan as well, but mine did not fit on my stove well this year) and heated it my skillet, I whisked in 4T of All Purpose flour cooked it for about 3 minutes whisking continuously. Then I slowly added 2C-3C of the giblet liquid until desired consistency. I did not add any additional salt or seasoning as there was plenty from the turkey and giblet liquid. It exceeded my expectations and was a family hit. Definately will be used again next year.

No comments: